Monday, February 14, 2011

Digital Landscape


DIGiTAL LANDSCAPE: "Alone" by Geline Quintano

My inspiration for this project were the black and white pictures that were shown by Ms. Reidel on the slideshow. I was also inspired by the digital landscapes created by Jim Kazanjian. At first, I decided to use a desert and some type of overlay. Then, I was going to create an interesting background and use broken buildings to fill in the bare space of the desert.

Instead of using a desert as my main photo, I used a picture of a lake at night with a foreground of a drought. I did this by deleting the water portion of the lake picture and replacing it with a new layer of the drought picture.




Next, I decided to put a hole in the ground. I did this by getting a picture of a hole from Google, and pasting it on to the drought layer. I blurred the edges and changed the colour slightly, to make it blend well with the drought layer.



By using Jim Kazanjian as an inspiration, I decided to take some pictures of some broken buildings and incorporate it into the picture. I took seperate buildings and pasted them close together to make it appear as one building. I also had to change the perspective and skew the picture so that it was on a certain angle to make it look realistic.





For the sky, I decided to lower the transparency of the actual sky of the lake picture, so that the picture of the earth I used can show through. I also added a rainbow to the sky because it seemed to add a little more detail.


The foreground of the picture seemed too bare. First, I pasted a ladder in the hole to make it seem like it was coming out of it. I had to play around with the perspective and skew tools to transform the ladder. Later on, I decided not to use the ladder because I was not satisfied with the outcome. Instead, I found a picture of a man who was ice fishing and pasted it near the hole. I changed the brightness and contrast of the man, and also blurred the picture to make it blend well with everything else.

I added a black cat just to balance the picture out. There was already something on the right side of the picture, and nothing on the other side. By adding the cat, it prevented the picture from being bare on the left side.

I converted the picture to black and white because I thought it would create a darker mood to the picture. The title of this digital landscape is Alone because the picture creates a dark and sad mood and it shows a man all alone.

Overall, I was happy with the outcome. I liked this digital landscape more than the previous ones that I have created in Grade 11. I think what I needed to work more on was the lighting and shadows of the picture.


EXTRA TIME: Other filters on the Original Photo

Accented Edges:


Mosaic Tiles:


Liquify:

1 comment:

  1. Geline, I think the challenge here is knowing when to stop. I actually think your image with the hole before you added the buildings and figure was very powerful. It looks like the surface of an alien planet that the hole without any explanation seems quite frightening. As soon as you put buildings in and a person kneeling by the hole, it seems far less threatening.

    When you do your next project remember that sometimes less is more.

    Your filters are a bit over the top as well. They are so extreme that they lose the integrity of the parched surface, which is the whole point of the image.

    Fabulous job making the hole look believable. Well written explanation with good use of images to clarify.

    ReplyDelete